The Conwy Valley Awards scheme has been running for over twenty years, and has recognised and made awards to many diverse projects - ranging from restoration and conservation of buildings or natural habitats, the introduction of a new building, field or road boundary, community facility, renewable scheme - regardless of the size or cost of any project.
The prestigious Awards are usually presented every two years, to celebrate excellence in local endeavour.
In essence the awards are intended for projects which truly enhance the Conwy Valley and nominations for organisations, groups or individuals are all eligible. Architectural, environmental (including renewables), conservation and educational projects are all welcome for nomination.
Anyone (with the owner’s permission) may nominate a project, The nominations are adjudicated by a panel of independent experts appointed by the Society.
For projects completed between January 1st 2017 and 31st December 2018
…... in no particular order!
BIER HOUSE, ST. MARY'S CHURCH, CAERHUN
(The Vicar and Churchwardens, St. Mary’s Church, Caerhun)
Rebuilding of the C18th bier house in the North West corner of the churchyard and conversion into eco-friendly facilities and a store room, the footprint of the old building remained the same.
The project manager was Mrs. Elizabeth Jones of Ty'n-y-groes, and the project was undertaken under the expert guidance of Cadw and Diocesan advisors to ensure that the conversion was fully in compliance with the requirements of this Grade 1 listed site.
The project entailed: rebuilding walls using original stones and pointing with lime mortar, re-roofing with new roof timbers and reclaimed slates to match the lych-gate, construction of floor, and the installation of a water-free composting toilet system.
The project has resulted in the valuable re-use of a disused and decaying building in a highly sensitive location which has been executed with great care and imagination to the highest standards of vernacular construction.
* * * *
MINAFON, MAENAN (Bodnant Estate)
Conversion of an old derelict barn into a holiday cottage.
The barn, in a secluded position on The Bodnant Estate, lies on its own off a woodland track and has been tastefully converted into a one bedroom detached cottage decorated in traditional style.
Modern facilities, including electric underfloor central heating, woodburning stove and shower room have been incorporated in the conversion.
Outside the cottage an area has been enclosed as a small discrete garden which has been carefully landscaped to merge with, and take full advantage of, the location.
* * * *
DOLGARROG (Mr. Dafydd Williams for Dolgarrog Dam disaster and Dolgarrog War Memorial Committee for the 2018 Dolgarrog Cenotaph project)
award presented for two community projects:
1 - A memorial to commemorate those lost as a result of the 1925 Dolgarrog Dam Disaster.
Paths were upgraded and trees removed to expose the boulders where the flooded village of Porthllwyd lies underneath.
A wall has been built to depict the gap in the dam wall which let out all the water which flooded the village.
In addition a memorial with the names of all those lost and the date, which can be seen from by the roadside, and the installation of information boards explaining the history and how this changed the construction of dams worldwide.
2 - further work and installations in the Cenotaph gardens completed specially in time for the 100th anniversary of the end of The Great War and to signify peace.
A soldier holding out his hands and handing over the Peace to the children ... with the inscription "Heddwch .... i'n Dyfodol"
* * * *
TAN Y RHIW, TAFARN Y FEDW, LLANRWST (Mr. B. Woolcock)
A Camping & Caravanning certified site, for members only, accommodating up to 5 caravans/motorhomes and providing 5 hard standings with hookups.
This is a new site, completed in August 2018, which has been carefully landscaped in a visually sensitive area.
Necessary facilities for campers/caravanners are provided in an appropriate and convenient single-storey timber building which set at a low level appears carefully chosen and designed to merge with the landscape.
* * * *
CEFN Y COED, RO-WEN (Mr. And Mrs. A. Phillips)
Renovation, including demolition of existing rear extension and erection of a new single storey rear extension, and alterations to an existing property together with the formation of a new vehicular access, parking area and turning area, and hard landscaping.
A sympathetic modernisation to a high standard of a building and garden which is very prominently situated on the outskirts of the village of Rowen, and within The Snowdonia National Park.
* * * *
THE BREW HOUSE, PLAS TIRION, LLANRWST
(The Natural Building Centre, Llanrwst)
The structure was last used as a cowshed and gradually fell into disrepair as it became redundant.
However, the owners noticed some evidence that indicated an early origin of the building.
A truss was dated using dendrochronology to 1498 and further investigations confirmed its origin as an open hall house, which may have become a "Brew house" during the construction of the main Plas Tirion house in 1565.
The project entailed emergency repairs to the fabric - the majority of the work focussing on repairing the structure, chimney, and roof covering. This to provide protection to reduce the deterioration and to allow the building to begin drying out.
The project also included the conservation of internal details and the reinstatement of the plank and muntin screen.
The work was undertaken by the owners who worked closely with local craftsmen and with building materials sourced locally.
* * * * * * * *
Click HERE for some previous winners
* * * * * * * *
An intrepid awards sub-committee - making the initial visits to view some of the nominees.